Today we are doing this.
With Girl Scout Cookie Season right around the corner, I thought I’d get a head start by making my own. Well, these are semi-homemade. And for good reason. Some things can never be replicated. Simply because the iconic taste of something we truly love and are used to is really hard to reproduce. If you call something a copycat version it better be pretty close to the real thing. Know what I mean? It’s the worst when somebody promises you something that tastes just like the real deal only to be negatively surprised. To say I was a bit skeptic about making these cookies would be an understatement.
But I had full confidence in my ingredients. I wasn’t going to play with making my own dough and cutting out a million tiny circles (not that I mind), only to be disappointed when it comes to the taste factor. I figured that no matter what these turned out to taste like, they would undoubtedly be delicious since the starring ingredients are all lovely on their own.
And were they ever. Not only did they hold up to what I had envisioned, but they tasted exactly like the original Thin Mints. I was floored and have had the hardest time keeping them from you. No more stocking up on box after box and stretching your patience until you’re able to get your hands on another box, Thin Mint Season consists of 365 days from now on.
One of the best things about making these in the comfort of your own home is that you can make White Chocolate Thin Mints. How fun is that? Not only do these Thin Mints taste like the real deal, but you can get really creative. Custom mint cookies are hard to beat.
It is no secret that I like a challenge in the kitchen. I could and in fact frequently do spend an entire day in our kitchen baking and cooking away. It’s what I love to do. But just like everyone else, I often run out of time and need something quick and delicious. These cookies definitely fit the bill. A no-bake recipe that comes together in just a few minutes, using only 3 ingredients – oreos, chocolate and peppermint extract.
Dark chocolate and mint have always had a special place in my heart. A combination I’ve never been able to get enough of. I can see myself topping various desserts like ice cream with these cute little delights.
You might be wondering what to do with the delicious white oreo cream that you won’t be using here. Eating it is the first thing that comes to mind, which would be a great solution. But just in case you’re not into that and don’t like to waste anything like I do, stay tuned for another fabulous 3-ingredient treat tomorrow utilizing the white cream and any leftover oreos.
Looking forward to seeing you again tomorrow!
- 20 Oreos
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate (or white chocolate)
- 1. Separate oreos and scrape off the white cream. Line a baking sheet with wax or other nonstick paper.
- 2. Combine chocolate and peppermint extract in a microwave safe bowl. Heat chocolate until completely melted in 30 second intervals or heat with the help of a double boiler.
- 3. Place one oreo half at a time into the chocolate and flip over with the help of a fork. Once completely coated, remove cookie half from chocolate with the fork and tap it on the edge of the bowl a couple of times (to get rid of the excess chocolate). Place on prepared baking sheet and repeat. Place in the fridge and let set for 15 minutes before enjoying.
- *Sprinkle thin mints with crushed oreos or chocolate pieces after dipping.
- Cookies will keep up to 2 weeks in the fridge or up to 8 weeks in an airtight container in the freezer.