Oh yeah. We are making sparkly lemonade today. Using beautiful blackberries and one of my favorite herbs – Sage. Can you say refreshingly delicious!?
This week was full of rainy days and some huge storms. I can’t even count how many times I was woken up by thunder, lightning or both these last couple of days. The hubby told me yesterday morning that I’ve been shushing the storms during my sleep with an old, grumpy voice that he didn’t know existed. I’m a pretty calm sleeper and usually I am the one putting up with Adam’s interesting sleeping behavior, but I guess stormy weather brings out my dark side – lol.
It’s been crazy, but I secretly love watching another storm roll in and completely change the sky. It’s so awe-inspiring and beautiful. I could watch it over and over again.
The humidity levels have been out of control as well and while everyone is complaining about the sticky air, I am doing my happy dance. Because Blackberry Sage Sparklers are waiting in my fridge and they taste best when enjoyed on a hot, muggy day.
Adding the wonderful aroma of herbs to something sweet can totally transform whatever it is you’re making and really challenge your palate – in a good way. Not only does it add another flavor component, but it really helps in intensifying and complementing the ingredients you use.
Also, blackberries. I have yet to encounter a berry I don’t like and because raspberries and strawberries are receiving a lot of attention this time of year, I wanted to highlight blackberries. When perfectly ripened they tend to be pretty sweet, slightly bitter (which totally works in lemonade) and super juicy. And did I mention blackberries and sage go really, really well together?
You can actually make this sparkling lemonade two ways.
Once you create the base for this recipe, you can either top it off with lemon-lime soda or plain sparkling water. I used soda and didn’t have to add any additional sugar, but if you choose to go with sparkling water, you would need to add sugar to the base. Both ways are included in the recipe and equally as delicious.
It’s the perfect thing to whip up this weekend since tomorrow is the official start of summer. Weeee!
- 8 lemons
- 1/2-3/4 cup granulated sugar (only add if you’re using plain sparkling water)
- Fresh sage leaves
- 12 oz. fresh or frozen blackberries, more for serving
- Sparkling water or lemon-lime soda
- 1. Juice lemons and pour into a 2 quart pitcher. Add sugar (if using) and give it a good stir. Add 2-3 sage leaves. Set aside.
- 2. Puree blackberries in a blender until smooth and no chunks remain. If you don't mind the seeds, you can add the pureed blackberries to the juice in the pitcher (make sure the sugar is dissolved) right away. Blackberry seeds are bitter, so if you’re not a fan of bitterness, I recommend using a fine mesh strainer first to get rid of most of the seeds (that’s what I do). Add to the pitcher and stir well. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- 3. Shortly before you’re ready to serve the lemonade, add the sparkling water or lemon-lime soda, give it a good stir and serve with ice, additional blackberries and garnish with sage leaves, if desired.
- Lemonade sparklers are best when enjoyed immediately.