Enjoy the ultimate Rice Krispie Treats. These bars are packed with the wonderful flavor and aroma of brown butter and also happen to be one of the chewiest and gooiest treats everr!
I know what you might be thinking. Rice Krispie Treats. Really? We all know how to make them since they have been around forever.
Because I thought the same thing. Before attempting to make these, I was brainstorming ideas what else I could possibly add to these bars to bring them over the top.
Wait a second. We’re talking brown butter here. Outrageously nutty, buttery and reminiscent hints of caramel. Surely that had to be enough.
And boy was it ever.
It had been years since I had a “regular” rice krispie treat and together with the brown butter upgrade, these definitely hit the spot.
I actually reduced the amount of cereal to make them extra ooey gooey and packed a relatively large amount of the rice krispie mixture into the smallest baking pan I could find. Thick and melt-in-your-mouth awesomeness.
Do I need to say more?
Ohhhh. That’s what I’m talking about. And let me tell you just how much I love food and you.
I made these fabulous treats last week after having all four of my wisdom teeth removed. Now I’m not going to bore you with details, especially since this is a food blog, but the worst thing about the extraction was the fact that I could barely eat. Which was to be suspected, of course.
Applesauce and smoothies were my best friends. But I could only wait so long until I started dreaming about any and everything I couldn’t have. Kit Kat candy bars and Rice Krispie Treats were at the top of my list.
So even though I couldn’t enjoy these right away, I whipped them up the day after my surgery and was told that they taste amazing :).
Which is also how I found out that these taste just as great (or maybe even better?) a couple of days later. I am pretty sure I will never take solid and crunchy food for granted.
Hope you love ’em as much as I did.
- 5 1/2 cups Rice Krispie cereal
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 10 oz. bag marshmallows
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Thoroughly grease an 8-x-8-inch baking pan.
- 1. Pour cereal into a large bowl. In a mid-sized saucepan over medium heat, brown the butter. Keep your eye on it while stirring frequently. As soon as the butter turns slightly brown, turn off the heat and add marshmallows to the pot. Stir until melted and thoroughly combined. Add salt.
- 2. Pour marshmallow mixture over the cereal and combine until fully incorporated. Press into the prepared baking pan. Let cool and cut into squares.
- Treats will keep up to 5 days stored in an airtight container.