These brownies have it all. Prepare to have all your senses tickled when biting into your delicious brownie square!
Happy, happy Friday! How was your week? Our home was struck by sickness this week. Ugh! Adam was down for most of the week with a stomach bug and I have been spared so far. I think I should be in the clear and am ready to enjoy a healthy and fun weekend with my man. If Fridays and getting better aren’t a great reason to celebrate, then I don’t know what is. And the best way to do so is with a big old pan of brownies. I am sure you agree.
I basically made my childhood dreams come true when I concocted the brownies you see here. Loaded with chocolate covered caramels, mini marshmallows and caramel popcorn. Oh, and there’s chocolate. Lots and lots of chocolate.
You will LOVE them!
Like I just mentioned, little Kathi’s dreams are coming true. I used to adore soft caramels so, so much. It’s all I wanted when I was younger. Not much has changed except that I can’t really pinpoint my favorite candy anymore. I am much less picky now and have come to appreciate all things sweet and sugary.
Which is where the addition of caramel popcorn and mini marshmallows come into play. Yes, I could have stuck with only the caramels, but why? Why stop when I can drastically build and bring out the wonderful caramel flavor even more?
More is most definitely better when it comes to dessert. But it’s not just about adding things at random. I knew from the start that the caramels would shine – as they should. Everything else was going to be about texture and adding more dimension. The crunch from the popcorn cuts through the richness, which basically means you won’t be able to stop at just one. The same goes for the marshmallows. Though they’re sweet, they raise the chewiness factor to the max.
They’re so good, I almost can’t handle it. Almost…
I don’t think I need to convince you to make these anymore. You know what you’ve got to do. You’ll be thrilled you did!
Talk to you again soon! Enjoy a lovely weekend, friends!
- 1 box of your favorite brownie mix, plus ingredients listed on the box
- 1 (12 oz) bag chocolate covered caramels, I used Rolos
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup caramel popcorn, more for garnish
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows, more for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9-x-13 inch baking pan with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick spray.
- 1. Prepare brownies according to package directions. Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, unwrap chocolate covered caramels. Once brownies have baked for 20 minutes, add half of the caramels to the top (about 25 caramels) and bake for another 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and let brownies cool completely.
- 2. Once cooled, melt the chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, butter and shortening in a heatproof bowl in the microwave or with the double boiler method. If using the microwave, stir the mixture every 15 seconds until fully melted. Let cool for a couple of minutes. Stir in popcorn as well as marshmallows until fully incorporated. Add remaining caramels, reserving 10 pieces for garnish, which is optional. Spread chocolate mixture in an even layer over the cooled brownies. Top with remaining caramels, extra popcorn and marshmallows, if desired. Place pan in the fridge for at least 2 hours or until set. Cut into squares and enjoy!
- Brownies will keep for up to 5 days stored in an airtight container.