Coconut Oil, Sweetened Coconut Flakes, and Bananas make for an amazing breakfast treat. Mmmmm!
Raise your hand if banana bread is as much of a kryptonite food for you as it is for me. Banana bread and I go way back, which is exactly why The Best Banana Bread Recipe was posted in the very early days of this blog. It was one of those recipes that I couldn’t wait to post for all of you to see. Because it’s that good. It yields two medium-sized loaves that always disappear before I can even utter the words: “I just baked banana bread”.
So when a couple of overripe bananas couldn’t be ignored much longer the other day, I didn’t have a choice but to pull out the old banana bread recipe. And somewhere along the lines I started to play with coconut oil, coconut flakes and the idea of making muffins instead.
These muffins are just another reason why I love baking and getting creative in the kitchen.
For as long as I can remember, I’ve always wanted to replace the shortening used in the original recipe with something healthier. Since I’ve always had good luck with coconut oil, I decided to give it a shot and added coconut flakes for good measure. Might as well commit all the way.
The swap worked beautifully. You can definitely taste the use of coconut alongside the bananas. It’s a pretty dreamy combination. One that I don’t even mind getting up for. In fact, these have been my go-to the last couple of days. I was smart enough to freeze them immediately after making the muffins and have been enjoying a delicious muffin one bite at a time.
These would be fabulous breakfast treats for your entire family. Just in time since school is about to start again or may have already started where you live.
Please do yourself a favor and whip up a batch this weekend. You will thank yourself all week long.
Happy Friday, everyone!
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes, more for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 1. Grease a muffin pan thoroughly. Set aside.
- 2. In a stand mixer, combine sugar, coconut oil, eggs, and vanilla. Mix on medium speed for 3 minutes or until well incorporated.
- 3. Meanwhile, smash 3 large bananas (use a potato masher) and add to the mix.
- 4. Slowly add milk, soda, salt, and flour and mix until creamy. Fold in coconut flakes.
- 5. Divide batter equally between the muffin cups, sprinkle with additional coconut flakes, and place in the oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let muffins cool for 5 minutes, then invert them onto a cooling rack and let rest until completely cooled.