Pumpkin, Cookie Butter, and warm Spices. With a yummy Cream Cheese Drizzle. Fall in your mouth – right here.
All I wanted were thick, moist, and drool-inducing bars that screamed fall to me. Pumpkin as one of the main ingredients was a must – no explanation needed. As I looked through the pantry my hand automatically reached out and grabbed the cookie butter jar. Once I opened the lid and smelled the wonderfulness that is cookie butter, I knew the flavors would work extremely well with pumpkin. I mean, cookie butter is basically made out of cookies and you can never ever go wrong with adding cookies to a dessert recipe. It’s a guaranteed winner!
The addition of semisweet chocolate chips, a yummy cream cheese drizzle, and extra cookie crumbs were always a given. There’s no such thing as a good pumpkin bar without cream cheese in one way or another. At least in my recipe book, ha.
If you’re as desperate as I am for the ultimate fall treat, this is the one for you.
The excitement level whilst the bars were baking in the oven was through the roof. When I saw the bars rising so beautifully during the baking process, I literally jumped for joy. I was hoping for something to really think my teeth into and was more than pleased with the results. I love when my original vision for a recipe comes into reality before my very eyes. It’s one of my favorite feelings. Which was soon taken over by the feeling I get when I am able to finally taste what’s just been created. So much happiness, satisfaction and FALLNESS.
The flavors are simply insane. The pumpkin puree, the cookie butter (which tastes like a mix between caramel and gingerbread – swoon), coupled with cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. I know this lovely season is only beginning today, but I have a feeling this might be my standout recipe of fall 2015.
The cream cheese drizzle made out of 3 simple ingredients, namely cream cheese, powdered sugar, and milk is just as dreamy. Finished with cookie crumbs. Oh yeah.
I hope you make yourself a pan of these bars. You deserve it in the middle of the week.
Happy first day of autumn!
- For the Bars:
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cookie butter
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- For the Cream Cheese Drizzle:
- 1/4 cream cheese
- 1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- speculoos cookies, broken into crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8-x-8 inch baking pan with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Add butter, brown sugar as well as granulated sugar to the bowl of your stand mixer and mix until combined, about 2 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla.
- Next, add cookie butter and pumpkin puree and continue mixing until combined. Add baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices and mix until incorporated. Add flour and mix until combined. Fold in chocolate chips. Place dough into the prepared baking pan. Put in the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- Once cooled, mix together cream cheese and confectioner's sugar. Add milk until smooth. Spoon frosting into a ziptop bag and cut off one corner. Cut pan of bars into squares and pipe desired design on top. Sprinkle with speculoos cookie crumbs and enjoy!