Dark Chocolate, Espresso and Avocados make for one incredible mousse. A decadent dessert without the guilt!
So, avocados. I’m going to let you in on a little secret and I seriously hope we can still be friends. Up until 3 weeks ago I have never had anything containing avocados. No guacamole, yummy salads or whatever else you make with those green things. I know! I understand you might be in complete shock and quite possibly are reexamining this internet relationship thingy we’ve got going on here.
I honestly don’t know what took me so long. Salads and veggies are one of my favorite things, but for reasons that are even a mystery to me, I just couldn’t get myself to try avocados.
And then my SIL, Rachel, came over and took me to Chipotle (also my first time). We ended up sharing a bowl and there was no escaping the guacamole train.
My world hasn’t been the same since. I keep buying avocados. And what happens when you’ve gone a little overboard and accidentally amassed an undisclosed amount of avocados? You make Dark Chocolate Mocha Avocado Mousse, of course!
This mousse couldn’t have not come at a better time actually. I’ve been working hard on getting on a regular schedule with my workouts and being more diligent when it comes to running. 3 weeks in and things are looking good. I am running my first ever race this weekend. A 5K seemed like a good way to get my feet wet. So excited!
And this mousse has been the healthy yet satisfying treat I’ve been looking for, especially when I’m craving chocolate – which happens a lot.
The recipe yields quite a few servings, but you could totally cut it in half. I just happen to be one of those people that despises to clean her food processor. Totally worth it for this mousse though and totally easy. You pretty much throw all your ingredients into the food processor, pulse it a few times, and are left with the most amazing dessert.
And yes, it does taste like avocado. Not overwhelmingly so, but you know it’s there. It’s subtle, perfect and most importantly delicious. Plus there is chocolate and coffee. So yeah, if you’re an avocado-chocolate-coffee lover, you will go ga ga over this mousse. Just giving you a fair warning ;).
So here’s the recipe for ya. Hope you have an amazingly delectable weekend ahead!
- 1/2 cup (about 2 ounces) dark chocolate 70% or higher, melted
- 4 ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
- 1/4 cup light coconut milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons espresso or instant coffee
- whipped cream, optional
- 1. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the dark chocolate and set aside to cool slightly.
- 2. Meanwhile, place your avocados in the food processor and blend until creamy. Add all of the remaining ingredients, including the melted chocolate and blend until everything is thoroughly creamed together, about 2 minutes. Taste and adjust according to taste. The dark chocolate is pretty dominant in this mousse, so you might want to add more honey or sweetener of your choice.
- 3. Spoon mixture into small serving bowls and place in the fridge for 1 hour. Serve with whipped cream, if desired and enjoy!
- Mousse can be made ahead of time and stored for 24 hours.