Caramel Corn infused with cinnamon and tossed with 5 different types of nuts. Let the crunching begin!
Caramel Corn. What’s the first thing that comes to mind when you hear those words? Summer’s on the top of my list. I don’t know why, but every time we visit a fair, especially the MN State Fair, caramel corn or kettle corn spreads its wonderful aroma across the streets for my nose to find. I usually try to avoid buying any because I hate being stuck with a ginormous bag that I can’t stop eating out of for the rest of our time there.
Plus, I need two free hands to hold the bucket of warm chocolate chip cookies, the best grilled pork chops and whatever else on-a-stick I can find. Can you tell I am getting ready to visit the great MN get-together? Unfortunately, it’s still over a month until we get to go, but it’s never too early to start planning and dreaming about the food we’re going to devour.
So I am getting started by making my own caramel corn, which means I can stay hands free and indulge in caramel corn any time I want!
This really is the perfect snack to bring to a ball game or even picnic this summer. Or one of my faves, watching a movie in the park. I am guessing the tolerance for crunchy foods is a tad bit higher outside.
Which you will definitely need when it comes to this Caramel Corn.
I am not exaggerating by including extreme crunch in the name of this recipe.
Freshly popped corn is coated in a homemade caramel-cinnamon mixture that is slowly baked in the oven until it reaches ultimate caramelization and becomes insanely crispy.
Let’s not forget about the nuts though. I bought a mix that had almonds, peanuts, cashews, hazelnuts and pecans. I actually tossed them together with the popcorn before coating them, so that they would roast and become extra delicious as well. If you have nut allergies or aren’t a big fan, you could totally leave them out.
This is a great recipe for regular caramel corn.
The smell alone is worth making this for. It’s da best.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 8 cups popcorn
- 1 1/2 cups mixed nuts
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat liner. Set aside.
- 1. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Once melted, add brown sugar, corn syrup, cinnamon and salt. Stir to combine. Bring mixture to a boil and continue to boil for 4 minutes (without stirring). Remove pan from the stove and stir in vanilla and baking soda.
- 2. Pour popcorn and mixed nuts into a large bowl and pour brown sugar mixture over; coating the popcorn and nuts completely.
- 3. Spread caramel corn in an even layer onto the baking sheet and place in the oven. Bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- 4. Remove from the oven and let cool. Drizzle melted chocolate over the top and let cool completely before serving.
- Caramel Corn will keep up to 5 days stored in an airtight container.