A simple recipe is here to sweeten Monday mornings. Do you love Nutella? It goes without saying that I do. Eating chocolate for breakfast? I mean, it really doesn’t get any better than that, does it? The addition of hazelnuts gives the spread a wonderfully nutty flavor; adding a whole new dimension to the silky, smooth taste. If you have never tried it, please go ahead and give it a go. For those of you that know all about the lusciousness in a jar – rejoice. This homemade version is just as tasty as the store-bought kind and is ready to enjoy in no time.
You will first need to roast your hazelnuts in the oven. This will help you get rid of the skins and really brings out the flavor of the hazelnuts. Once the nuts have been roasted, you should transfer them to a clean kitchen towel (be careful not to get burned) and cover with a second one. Rub the towel back and forth until most of the skins of the hazelnuts have separated from the nuts. Let them cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a food processor. While you’re waiting, melt the chocolate and set aside.
When 5 minutes have elapsed, turn your food processor to high and pulse the hazelnuts until smooth and creamy, about 5 minutes.
On to the final step. Add confectioners’ sugar, vanilla, oil and salt to the food processor and pulse until incorporated. Now you can add the melted chocolate and you’re done. This is it, you guys. I told you it was easy. Pour the Homemade Nutella into your favorite jar and have your way with it… you know what I mean :).
This picture shows me transferring the fresh chocolate hazelnut spread to one of my favorite jars. The mixture was still warm at this point – you may want to try a spoonful of it at this time – quality control is extremely important and warm Nutella might change your life forever. Just sayin’.
Your Nutella will continue to thicken as it stands. It takes about 15 to 30 minutes until it reaches the right consistency. We enjoyed it both ways and didn’t have any complaints.
Go and have some chocolate for breakfast – it’s the right thing to do!
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 12 ounces milk chocolate chips, melted
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- 1. Spread hazelnuts on a baking sheet and put into your oven. Bake for 15 minutes.
- 2. Remove the hazelnuts from the oven and spread on a kitchen towel (be careful not to burn yourself). Top with another towel and rub the hazelnuts until the skins come off. Let the nuts cool for 5 minutes or until you're able to handle them.
- 3. Meanwhile, melt the chocolate until smooth. You can use the microwave (which is what I did) and heat the chocolate in 30 second intervals until completely melted or use a double boiler.
- 4. Transfer the cooled hazelnuts to a food processor and pulse until a smooth paste forms, about 5 minutes. Add the oil, powdered sugar, vanilla and salt and puree until incorporated. Finally add the melted chocolate and blend really well.
- 5. Pour the chocolate hazelnut spread into a jar and let cool completely. Nutella will be set after 15-30 minutes.
- Homemade Nutella will keep up to 2 weeks in your fridge.
- This recipe yields enough for one regular mason jar, about 16 ounces.