I made you one of the easiest and most incredible desserts today.
These cookie bars are a first for me. When I opened my cabinets last weekend, I was met with leftover baking chips in pretty much any variety. Lots of small quantities that I wanted to use up. Cookies were the first thing that popped into my mind, but I was running short on time and needed a one-pan dessert recipe that required little cleanup. So I started to think about my regular chocolate chip cookie recipe and decided to turn them into bars.
No idea why I never thought about doing that before. I mean, it’s like one giant cookie and you get to decide how big your piece is. Pretty much the best thing ever.
Lots and lots of chocolate in every bite. Ooey, gooey and perfectly melty. Anyone with a sweet tooth will go crazy for these, especially if you love cookies, then you are in for a real treat.
I used white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, chocolate chunks, and itty bitty peanut butter cups I found at Trader Joe’s. But anything will fly. Whether you have leftovers like me and feel like starting your spring cleaning a bit early or if you need a good excuse to go out and buy chocolate, you can use anything you have on hand or whatever catches your eye at the store. There is definitely no right or wrong here.
Set your cravings free!
I was clearly trying to satisfy my love for dark chocolate, peanut butter and a happy handful of white chocolate. Love the different colors as well as the different flavor combinations. Loaded Cookie Bars actually are like a box of chocolates – you never know what you’re gonna get, ha!
Yep, I’m leaving you with the picture above, because anything you’re imagining right now is probably true. Pure bliss! Have a marvelous start to your week.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), melted
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cup baking chips (any variety - I used 1/3 cup each of white chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, peanut butter chips, and mini peanut butter cups)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8-x-8-inch baking pan with parchment paper and spray with nonstick spray.
- 1. Melt the butter and place in the bowl of your stand mixer. Add brown and granulated sugar and cream together. Add egg and vanilla and mix until incorporated.
- 2. Add salt and baking soda to the mixture and mix. Finally add flour and combine until just incorporated (don't overmix).
- 3. Fold in baking chips of your choice and pour into prepared baking pan. Smooth out batter and distribute evenly in baking pan. Sprinkle with additional baking chips if desired. Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Much like a cookie, let bars cool for 20-30 minutes before cutting. Enjoy!
- Bars will keep up to 1 week at room temperature or up to 8 weeks in an airtight container in the freezer.