This Homemade Granola has it all. Whether you love granola or are new to the whole idea, you won’t be able to stop eating bowl after bowl.
Let’s jump right in, shall we? I have caught the granola-making bug. If you’d asked me a couple of weeks ago, I wouldn’t have considered myself a huge granola fan. I never quite understood the hype and wasn’t even remotely interested. I think the fact that breakfasts used to be more of an afterthought (if even that) to me, might the biggest reason why I just didn’t get granola.
But in my attempts to give the most important meal of the day more attention, I decided to jazz up my Greek yogurt breakfasts with some delicious whole grains. So off I went and purchased a bag of honey almond granola. It didn’t take me very long to consume every last crumb…
And refusing to purchase yet another bag, I decided to make my own. You know, being a food blogger and all. Plus, wanting to be in control of my ingredients and creating granola just the way I like it, gave me more than enough motivation.
Best. Decision. Ever!
The title for this recipe might be Monster Cookie Granola, but I promise cookies were not on my mind when I went to work on this. After adding ALL the things I could possibly want in the morning, I thought to myself that this mix certainly has it all. Which reminded me of monster cookies and after thinking about it some more, I realized that there are quite a few similarities between Monster Cookies and this Granola. Made a bit healthier, but tastes just as ah-mazing.
Old-fashioned oats, almonds & pecans (my favorite nuts of life), ground flaxseed, and brown rice cereal make up the crunchy, crispy and hearty goodness.
Sprinkled with ground cinnamon and drizzled with coconut oil and honey. Do I need to say more? Oh yes, mini chocolate chips. Don’t forget about the mini chocolate chips. Might be optional for some, unless you’re anything like me at which point they become mandatory.
I have come to really enjoy my granola straight up with some ice cold milk and a handful of fresh berries. This is my definition when I hear the words breakfast for champions. It keeps me full and powered for hours. I am absolutely enamored.
But there are so many other ways granola can be devoured. Sprinkled on top of yogurt, made into parfaits as a healthy dessert, sprinkled over a slice of whole grain toast spread with peanut butter, completely on its own… I could go on and on. This stuff it perfect to keep around for any and every occasion.
- 2 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup brown rice cereal
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 1. In a large bowl, toss together oats, almonds, pecans, ground flaxseed, rice cereal, cinnamon and salt. Give it a good, but gentle stir.
- 2. In a heatproof bowl, melt coconut oil in 30 second increments in the microwave until clear in color. Add honey and stir to combine. Oil and honey won't mix completely, which is just fine. Pour mixture over the dry ingredients in the large bowl and stir to coat.
- 3. Spread granola onto the prepared baking sheet in an even layer. Place in the oven and bake for 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes. Stir mixture once again (optional: "press" some of the granola between your fingers to reinforce the clusters). Let sit another 5 minutes. Sprinkle with the mini chocolate chips and let sit until completely cooled, another 5-10 minutes. Transfer to an airtight storage container. Enjoy!
- Homemade Granola will keep for several weeks if stored in an airtight container.