A pan of bars that’s always irresistible. Satisfying your sweet and salty cravings without having to turn on the oven. Wheeeee!
These bars make me feel like I’m a kid again. I get excited just at the sight of them. And I figured now was the best time to feature another no-bake treat. Isn’t that all we want when the temperatures won’t give us a break, but we’re still looking for a homemade treat? I know it’s all my heart desires ;).
This time around, I knew that I wanted to combine sweet and salty ingredients. If you’ve been reading my blog for a little while, you are well aware that I love that combo oh so much. I mean, how many salted caramel recipes have I featured in the past? Too many to list and there’s no end in sight. But this time around, I decided to go with pretzels, pecans, and a fun amount of m&m’s. And the outcome was more than fab.
Once I’d decided on my sweet-and-salty combo, I had to figure out the main component. As I told you yesterday, I am not a huge fan of cereal in the morning; Adam on the other hand, absolutely adores it. So I decided to open the cereal cupboard and see what I could find. I finally settled on multi grain cheerios, which is definitely a classic when it comes to no-bake cereal bars. And probably my new favorite way to enjoy them myself.
I can never wait to sink my teeth into a square or two. The chewiness and slight crunch gets me every time and certainly transports me back to Kathi in 1995. When I was sitting at the kitchen table, sipping on some lemonade, and waiting for my sweet treat. Summer doesn’t get much better.
In case you haven’t guessed it by now, I couldn’t be more all over these. I hope you will be too!
Wishing you all the most wonderful weekend ahead.
- 4 cups multi grain cheerios
- 1 cup pecans, broken into pieces
- 1 cup m&m's
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup pretzel sticks, broken into pieces
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Line an 8-x-8 inch baking pan with aluminum foil. Spray with nonstick spray and set aside.
- 1. In a large bowl, combine cheerios, pecans, m&m's, chocolate chips and broken pretzel sticks.
- 2. In another heatproof bowl, combine brown sugar, corn syrup, and unsalted butter. Heat in the microwave until boiling and sugar is melted. Remove from the microwave and let cool for a couple of minutes. Pour over the cereal mix and stir gently to combine. Press into the prepared baking pan and refrigerate for 1 hour before cutting into squares.