My favorite Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats are featuring one of the best cookies of life – Oreos.
Baby it’s cold outside. Since today’s high is -8 degrees I couldn’t help but think about Snow Days. Even though I am no longer able to stay inside all day when the cold and snow hits, I still like to pretend and do all the fun things that kids get to do on an unexpected day off. One that instantly comes to my mind is getting to prepare a special treat and enjoying one or two while watching a movie in my pj’s…
You all probably know by now that tea in any shape or form is my drink of choice. Especially now. Taking a tea break has evolved into full-on snack time. My snack of choice? I bet you already figured out that Oreos are my go to. They’re not just milk’s favorite cookie anymore.
So on days I’d like to forget about what’s happening outside, an Oreo Rice Krispie Treat in one hand and a cup of tea in the other, are giving me much sweeter and warmer thoughts!
I have spoken about my love for Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats before and I’ll never grow tired of it. If you have never tried it before, you definitely should. Taking “regular” rice krispies to a whole new level. Making them that much better for adults to enjoy while still being kid-friendly :).
I find it somewhat hard to describe exactly what brown butter tastes like. People often describe it as being nutty and while I totally agree, I like to think of it as good old butter only better. Ha! So flavorful and aromatic. It’s simply ah-mazing.
The Oreos are setting it all over the top. I left some cookies in pretty big chunks, medium-chopped some of them and simply crumbled up the rest. I love the way it looks in these treats, but having all different kinds of sizes make for interesting textures. The fine crumbs not only infuse all of the krispies with that fantastic cookies and cream flavor, but you’ll also get some tasty chunks here and there. Nothing worse than being promised cookies & cream and not getting any bits or pieces. Don’t you just hate that feeling? No worries, I took good care of you with these treats.
Let’s stop the talking and do some more eating ;).
Have a lovely Wednesday, friends! Hope you’re staying warm wherever you might be!
- 5 cups rice cereal
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 (10 ounce) bag marshmallows
- 22 chocolate sandwich cookies, I used Oreos
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate for drizzling, optional
- 1/4 cup white chocolate for drizzling, optional
- 1. Line an 8-x-8-inch baking pan with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick spray. Set aside. Cut or break 1/3 of the Oreos into big chunks, cut another 1/3 into medium pieces, and crush the remaining third. Pour rice cereal and Oreos into a large bowl.
- 2. In a medium-sized pan, melt butter until browned. Keep an eye on it. As soon as the butter starts to brown and smell fragrant, remove the pan from the stove and add the marshmallows. Using a rubber spatula, give it a good stir. Place saucepan back on the stove and continue heating until marshmallows have fully melted and butter is completely incorporated.
- Pour marshmallow mixture over the cereal and Oreos, and gently stir until combined.
- 3. Pour rice krispies into the prepared pan and pat into an even layer. Meanwhile, melt semisweet chocolate in a heatproof bowl in the microwave in 30 second increments. Transfer melted chocolate to a small ziptop bag, cut off one corner and pipe chocolate in desired patterns over the top. Repeat with the white chocolate. Let treats sit for 30 minutes or until set before cutting into squares.
- Oreo Rice Krispie Treats will keep up to 5 days stored in an airtight container.