Peanut Butter and Jelly aren’t just best friends when it comes to sandwiches anymore. They’re taking over the dessert world and together make for some utterly scrumptious, delicious, and fun bars.
We’re bringing Peanut Butter and Jelly back. At least in the Deliciously Yum Home. I can’t remember the last time I had a pb & jelly sandwich. Probably sometime back in High School. I have no idea why, but my husband decided to break out the peanut butter and jelly jars and devour one sandwich after the other over the last week or so. And I immediately took inspiration, of course.
We’re basically looking at cookie bars. The crust and crumbly topping resemble a chewy peanut butter oatmeal cookie. With a generous layer of strawberry preserves in the middle.
Childhood and Adulthood dreams come true!
After these bars came out of the oven and were properly cooled, I immediately cut them into squares and took pictures ASAP. Because I had an inkling that Adam would be all over them once he figured out what I’d just made. Halfway through taking my pictures, I felt someone sneaking up behind me and asking if he could have one.
I didn’t even need to explain what kind of dessert I’d just baked. My pb-&-jelly-loving husband took one peek and knew.
I can’t blame him though. I wanted to bite into one of the squares just as much. I know the instructions say to wait until they’re completely cooled before cutting into bars, but if you’re anything like me, you will cut yourself a small piece minutes after taking the pan out of the oven. All in the name of taste-testing ;).
Warm peanut butter oatmeal cookie and strawberry preserves – I almost couldn’t handle it. A tall glass of milk was definitely needed!
Oh, and this might go without saying, but you could swap any type of preserves or jelly your prefer. I also think that almond butter could be easily substituted for the peanut butter. This recipe embraces change and versatility.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup strawberry preserves or jelly
- Line an 8-x-8 inch baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 1. In a medium bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add egg and mix until incorporated. Mix in peanut butter and vanilla and stir until smooth.
- 2. Incorporate flour, oats, and baking powder until just combined.
- 3. Press half of the mixture into the prepared baking pan. Spread strawberry preserves over the dough layer. "Break" remaining dough into small pieces and scatter over the preserves layer. Place in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until bars are golden brown and set. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack. Let cool completely before cutting.