I realize Thanksgiving is less than a week away and you’re more than likely busy planning for the big day. It’s such a wonderful holiday and is well deserving of all it’s attention. Nonetheless, I thought it would be nice to take a short break before hitting the home stretch. I am sorry if I’m breaking the “wait-for-christmassy-things-until-after-thanksgiving”-rule. As I shared in this post yesterday, I’ve caught the Christmas bug and developed a huge craving for peppermint. I was dreaming up this recipe for the last couple of weeks and simply couldn’t wait any longer to give it a try. I could have held off on sharing it with you, but that would disqualify me from making Santa’s Nice List this year. It neeeeded to make it’s appearance now!
This is a take on my Halloween Popcorn Mix, but instead of using popcorn I used Rice Chex cereal and added confectioners’ sugar. Just as easy as my popcorn mix and definitely hits the spot at this time of the year. It’s really similar to your traditional Puppy Chow or Muddy Buddy Mix. You know, the recipe you find on the back of each Chex box? What do you call it? I like Muddy Buddy simply because it’s a tad more descriptive.
Peppermint and Oreos go so well together. Chocolate cookie sandwiches with little pieces of peppermint candy canes make a perfect match. Kind of like stirring your cocoa with a candy cane. Wait… did I reach too far with that comparison? Be that as it may – I think it makes perfect sense, ha!
These colors are so beautiful to look at, aren’t they? Anything chocolate always makes my heart rejoice. And how about those pops of red? The white cereal mix puts me right into the mood of dreaming of a white Christmas.
Candy canes, oreos, and rice chex make for a tremendous amount of crunch, but no worries, you’ll be getting plenty of white cream and chocolate. This is such a well-rounded and fun little mix.
Okay, I feel so much better for having shared this recipe with you today. I promise to wait with additional Christmas recipes until after Thanksgiving. Hope you’ll make yourself my Peppermint Oreo Muddy Buddies this holiday season!
Here’s my favorite quote of the week: “If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world.” ~ C.S. Lewis
Happy Friday, everyone!
- 5 (heaping) cups rice chex cereal
- 12 ounces (6 squares) almond bark or white chocolate
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 6 candy canes, crushed
- 1 cup oreos, cut into small pieces
- gallon ziploc bag
- 1. Pour cereal into a big bowl. Melt almond bark in a microwave in 30 second intervals until completely melted. Pour chocolate over cereal and thoroughly mix.
- 2. Transfer cereal mixture to the ziploc bag and add confectioners' sugar. Seal bag and shake until cereal is evenly coated with sugar.
- 3. Add crushed candy canes and oreo pieces to the bag. Seal once again and shake until candy canes and oreos are evenly distributed. Serve in your favorite bowl and enjoy!
- Peppermint Oreo Muddy Buddies keep up to 1 week in an airtight container or ziploc bag.