Homemade Chocolate Pudding is one of the best comfort foods. Here’s how you can make your own in just a few minutes!
I know it’s summer and all, which means we’re all craving refreshing drinks, lighter meals, and love to use the grill as much as possible. Am I right? But no matter what season we’re in, I still find myself wanting comfort food every now and again. Chocolate pudding definitely qualifies as comfort food for me. Just the thought of it brings back so many memories of my childhood and stirs up just as many happy feelings. I really don’t make it often enough.
It turns out that having chocolate pudding on an 80 degree day on your back porch is actually quite perfect. Chilled pudding with a super smooth and creamy texture is now one of my favorite summer treats. I had no idea how much I’d enjoy a treat I usually only make come fall or winter. Better late than never.
Plus, nothing beats Chocolate Pudding made from scratch.
I absolutely love the fact that when it comes to homemade pudding, you can choose any kind of chocolate you prefer. I always opt for dark chocolate – no surprise there. But milk or even white will work just fine in this recipe.
Oh, and one of the most important things is the no-bake factor. I told you that it was perfect for summer. Ten minutes on the stovetop (if even that) and you’ve got yourself one of the best puddings you’ll ever taste.
And don’t be intimidated by some of the recipe instructions. There’s tempering of the egg yolks involved, but don’t worry, its just a fancy word that describes a pretty simple technique. You can totally do it.
I’ve always been mesmerized with the making of chocolate pudding. Just a few ingredients basically melt together and create something incredibly indulgent and oh so satisfying. It never ever gets old.
Let’s declare today Chocolate Pudding Friday. Hope you enjoy!
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 pint (16 fl. ounces) whole milk
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 5 oz dark chocolate, chopped
- 1. In a medium saucepan, whisk together cornstarch, cocoa powder and salt. Add heavy cream and whisk until smooth and creamy. Add egg yolks and whisk again until a smooth mixture forms.
- 2. In another saucepan, stir together the milk and sugar. Cook over medium heat until sugar is completely dissolved, white foam starts to form around the edges of the milk in the pan, and small bubbles appear as well. Milk should be almost brought to a boil. Add half of the hot milk to the chocolate mixture and stir to combine (also known as tempering of the eggs). Add second half and mix until incorporated as well.
- 3. Place mixture back onto the stovetop and heat until it comes to a boil - making sure to stir pudding constantly. Let boil for 2 minutes and keep stirring. Remove from the stove, stir in vanilla as well as the chopped chocolate and stir until chocolate is completely melted and pudding is smooth. Divide pudding between four dessert bowls, cover with clear wrap and chill for at least 2 hours or until ready to serve. Enjoy!