Melt in your mouth Pumpkin Coffee Cake. Grab a cup of joe and dig in. This is the perfect thing to enjoy on a chilly fall afternoon!
Happy October 1st. Fall is in full swing and there’s nothing I love more than to snuggle up, sip on a warm beverage and snack on something yummy. Preferably while holding a piggy. Say what? I shared yesterday in this post that Adam and I adopted two baby guinea pigs. It really was a spur of the moment decision. Somehow we ended up at a pet store on a Friday night and before we knew it, we were holding two piggies. Once we held them, there was no turning back. Pippa and Pippin had found a new home!
I had no idea that guinea pigs are fruit and vegetable fanatics. More vegetable than fruit, really. Watching them chowing down on peppers, carrots, kale, and cucumbers has really inspired me to do the same. I am not kidding – when you watch them get so excited about their “treats” that they can’t help but run around in circles in their cage, I start reaching for carrots without even knowing it. Need to add more veggies to your diet? Get a guinea pig or two ;).
While I love vegetables, there is something else that has me skipping with joy around our house. 3 words: Pumpkin Coffee Cake.
Since this is the season of the Pumpkin Spice Latte or PSL, I really wanted to make something that compliments fall’s favorite drink. Pumpkin needed to be a key ingredient, of course. And so was a buttery, crumbly and cinnamon-infused topping.
The aroma this cake sent through our house was almost too much for me to bear. While it finished baking, I just had to distract myself by making a homemade latte. I knew I wanted a warm slice of this cake as soon as it came out of the oven to enjoy with my freshly brewed cup of yumminess.
This cake clearly hit the spot. I cleared my plate within seconds. One thing I love about this cake is how high it rises. Definitely not for the faint of heart, but oh so satisfying and bursting with the flavors of fall. Yummm!
I think it’s calling your name!
Have a lovely Wednesday!
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch square cake pan with nonstick spray.
- 1. Start by preparing the crumble topping. Mix together butter, brown sugar, flour, pumpkin spice, and cinnamon until coarse crumbs form. Set aside.
- 2. In a medium bowl, whisk together pumpkin pie spice, salt, baking powder, soda and flour.
- 3. In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together butter and sugars. Add eggs, one at a time, and mix until incorporated. Add milk, heavy cream, and vanilla and stir to combine. Add pumpkin puree. Slowly pour dry ingredients into the wet and stir until fully combined.
- 4. Pour half the batter into the prepared baking pan. Top with half of the crumble topping and pour remaining batter on top. Sprinkle with remaining crumble mixture and pecans (if using) and place in the oven. Bake for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool before cutting into slices.
- Pumpkin Coffee Cake will keep up to 3 days stored in an airtight container.