One of Fall’s favorite desserts – Pumpkin Spice Bread Pudding. Get your spoons ready to dig in!
You guys, bread pudding is having a moment. At least in my life. There’s a local restaurant in our town that makes an incredible basic version. But there are only so many times one can visit the same restaurant several nights in a row and only order dessert before people start noticing and the credit card starts to smoke. So I finally decided that enough was enough.
It was time for me to stop being lazy, put my bread pudding skills to the test and start experimenting with yet another version. Plus, it gives me the perfect excuse to consume copious amounts of said pudding in order to get it just right for the blog.
And since this is the season of all things pumpkin, I couldn’t help but put a pumpkin spice spin on my current favorite dessert. Let me tell you one thing – I don’t think I’ll be going back to that restaurant any time soon. This made-from-scratch Pumpkin Spice Bread Pudding is calling my name. Plus, I can whip it up for a fraction of the cost and enjoy a healthy helping in my comfy clothes watching one of our binge-worthy shows. It’s da best!
It all starts with this beautiful sight. Individual bread puddings freshly out of the oven. Complete with pumpkin puree, all the classic pumpkin spices, some brown sugar sweetness, and enough dairy goodness to yield the very best results. Don’t forget the addition of my beloved vanilla bean paste as well. The love for my recent discovery is becoming stronger by the dessert and there’s most definitely no end in sight. I just adore it in this bread pudding as well, but as always, feel free to substitute vanilla extract. It’ll be just as delicious.
But no bread pudding would be complete without some kind of a special sauce. There’s nothing fancy or remotely homemade about the one I decided to use this time around. My go-to special dark chocolate sauce that’s always stocked in our fridge did more than the trick. I also couldn’t help but sprinkle on some crushed hazelnuts over the top. Hazelnuts, Chocolate and Pumpkin Spice Bread Pudding. Do I need to say more?
I almost can’t handle this. Almost!
Make it a great week, everyone. Xoxo.
- 1/2 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 7-8 ounces day-old bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- chocolate sauce
- 1. Spray 4 individual serving bowls or ramekins with nonstick spray. Alternatively, you can also spray a 2 quart baking dish with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, milk and heavy cream. Add eggs and whisk until combined. Mix in sugar and salt and give it a good stir. Add vanilla bean paste and spices and mix until everything is thoroughly combined. Add bread cubes and coat evenly. Let stand 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 3. Transfer mixture to the prepared baking dish/es. Place in the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Garnish with hazelnuts and serve immediately with chocolate sauce or additional topping of choice. Enjoy!