I hope you had the most wonderful Christmas this year. After all the indulgent food and sweets we consumed over the last couple of days (chocolate fondue, anyone?), I was in the mood for a healthy yet satisfying snack. As we sat dipping all sorts of fruits, marshmallows, and pretzels into the ever-continuing stream of chocolaty-goodness of our chocolate fountain, I was reminded of a recipe I had seen a couple of years ago on Food Network. Slices of mandarins or clementines dunked in chocolate… only this time I decided to sprinkle sea salt on top. If I had to live on this snack for the rest of my life, you would hear no objection from me! It’s the most addictive thing I’ve eaten in a long time.
There’s no better time to enjoy these than right now. Mandarin Oranges are so abundant and couldn’t be tastier. Extremely sweet and juicy – loved and adored by young and old. You might have some laying around the house todays since it’s a common stocking stuffer. Turn them into this fun and gorgeous snack!
I may or may not have devoured this entire bowl in one sitting. It holds segments of about 4 mandarin oranges, which means I got plenty of Vitamin C and antioxidants that day. Living healthy is outrageously tasty!
Say goodbye to granola bars and crackers. This snack takes almost no time to make and is guaranteed to stop your afternoon cravings. Don’t deprive yourself, instead take a handful of these and feel good about your choice!
Haven’t been this excited about something in a while. Well, at least since my last find, which was about 1 1/2 weeks ago. Ha! We have a real winner here, guys. Especially since the new year and resolutions are coming up. This treat will absolutely not break your food-related resolutions – whatever they may be. And if it does, it’s so worth it!
Alright, time for me to stop talking so you and I can go to make these ASAP! I just can’t stand looking at this deliciousness. I have to have ’em. Like now.
Enjoy this last weekend of 2013, friends! Leaving you with this quote today:
“Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.” ~ Dr.Seuss
- 5 mandarin oranges
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate or dark chocolate chips
- sea salt or coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon shortening, optional
- 1. Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper and set aside. Peel the mandarin oranges.
- 2. In a microwave safe bowl or with the help of a double boiler, melt chocolate chips and add shortening, if desired. Adding shortening is optional - it helps make the chocolate super smooth and easier to work with. Using only melted chocolate will work fine as well.
- 3. Dip each slice halfway into the melted chocolate and place on prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and repeat until all slices are evenly coated and sprinkled with salt. Refrigerate for 10 minutes or until chocolate has hardened. Enjoy!
- Salted Chocolate Covered Mandarin Slices will keep up to 2 days in an airtight container or storage bag in the fridge.