Inspired by one of the most loved Girl Scout Cookies – Samoas. This candy bark is just as addicting and the definition of the word easy!
And so they strike again. No matter what, I can’t escape Girl Scout Cookies. Actually, I can’t escape the thought of them. I’ve been steering clear of the cute little girls and all of the Facebook posts posted by their parents to boost their sales. Because I know better. That box or two would disappear in a matter of minutes and start a delicious cycle I can’t give in to right now. I am fully aware that summer is just around the corner, which means it’s time to put down the cookies and start hitting the trails.
But wait! You might be thinking that you’re not looking at diet-friendly food right now. And you would be correct. I’m fully aware. This one’s for my motivation. I run and lead a mostly healthy lifestyle, so that when the mood strikes, I know just where to turn. I’ve said it before and I say it again, I am all about moderation and never depriving myself. Because if I do, I know that my next opportunity of treating myself will move into binging. So I’m always allowing room for a little something sweet and today’s treat hits just the spot!
I’ve always been a lover of bark. The fact that it comes together in no time, tastes indulgent and is always a huge hit with everyone, doesn’t hurt. I personally like to store mine in the freezer. Especially when there’s dark chocolate involved – the cold sensation that melts so beautifully in my mouth is da best. Hands down.
It all starts with a good amount of melted dark chocolate. You could go with milk chocolate, of course. Use whatever is your favorite! Next, you’ll add plenty of toasted sweetened coconut, chocolate chips, crumbled shortbread cookies and salted caramel sauce. I used my go to Salted Caramel Sauce recipe, but store-bought sauce or melting your own caramels would work just as well. While traditional Samoas don’t feature Salted Caramel, I happen to be crazy over the stuff and always prefer the salted kind over the regular sauce. Again, use whatever floats your boat.
You really can’t go wrong. If you are a Samoa fan, this bark is a must!
Wednesdays really call for a chocolaty treat, don’t you think?! Make it a good one, friends!
- 8 oz. dark chocolate, broken into chunks
- 1 1/2 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- 3/4 cup sweetened coconut flakes, toasted
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup shortbread cookies, broken into pieces (about 4-5 cookies)
- 1/2 cup salted caramel sauce
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat liner.
- 1. In a heatproof bowl (or with the help of a double boiler), melt dark chocolate as well as shortening in 30 second intervals in the microwave. Pour melted chocolate onto the prepared baking sheet and spread into an even layer. Set aside.
- 2. To toast the coconut flakes, spread the coconut in an even layer onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Place in the oven and turn to 350 degrees F. Toast coconut until golden brown, about 5-7 minutes. Sprinkle toasted coconut over the melted chocolate.
- Add chocolate chips, broken cookies, and drizzle caramel sauce over the top. Refrigerate bark for 30 minutes or until firm before breaking into pieces.
Kathi my Mom is a huge Samoa Girl Scout Cookie fan and I just know she is going to love this bark! I can’t wait to make her some the next time I see her!!
HUGE samoa fan! I would go nuts over this bark!