Homemade Hot Chocolate with a Citrusy Twist and Warm Winter Spices. A cup full of this is all you need on a cold day.
How did you spend your Christmas? I sure hope everyone of you had a wonderful time. I think it’s safe to say that our time off can be best described with one word: FAMILY. Not only did we devour some delicious food and shared plenty of gifts, but countless hours were spent around the dining room table playing Settlers of Catan. Christmas was everything we hoped it would be and so much more.
Now onto welcoming a new year and dealing with all things winter.
Believe it or not, but this year we didn’t have a white Christmas. Our Winter Wonderland happened exactly 2 days later and the temps started to drop lower than they had so far. And it has only just begun…
My favorite activities already involve taking a long hot shower, sipping tea and snuggling my hubby. Not too shabby if you ask me ;).
Plus, I’ve discovered a new hot drink I can’t seem to get enough of – Spiced Orange Hot Chocolate. Mmmmm!
The idea for this hot cocoa had been swirling around my head for quite some time now. But up until a few days ago I hadn’t been in the mood for a homemade cup of cocoa, which is completely foreign to me. I mean, drinking chocolate straight from my favorite mug? What was wrong with me?
Well, let me just tell you that ever since making this I have been craving one of these daily. There’s just something about the dark chocolate and orange combo that has me totally and completely hooked. Together with the spices, which not only smell absolutely inviting but taste just like a spiced cup of cocoa should. Irresistible.
5 minutes is all you need to hold your own homemade hot cocoa in your hands. This recipe will trump anything you can possibly buy at a store or coffee house. That’s how confident and smitten I am with my newest concoction.
You will soon understand!
Enjoy your last Monday of 2014!
- zest of 1 large orange
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 oz orange dark chocolate, I used Lindt's Intense Orange
- mini marshmallows, optional
- whipped cream, optional
- 1. Fill your mug with milk about 3/4 full. Pour milk into a small saucepan. Add orange zest, cinnamon stick, cardamom pods and nutmeg. Bring to a simmer while stirring frequently. Once milk is warm, break chocolate into small pieces and add to the saucepan as well. Stir until chocolate is fully melted.
- 2. Place a fine mesh strainer over your mug and pour hot chocolate through the strainer into your mug. Top hot cocoa with mini marshmallows, whipped cream and additional orange zest, if desired. Serve immediately.
- Recipe can easily be doubled.