Making smoothies in style à la Lava Flow. This strawberry and pineapple concoction is the best thing to enjoy on a HOT summer day.
Oh, how I love a good smoothie. When we find ourselves in the midst of summer (or just about) all I want is a fabulous smoothie and homemade sweet tea. If one could live on those two alone, I absolutely would. Years ago I made up my own sweet tea recipe and now I make several pitchers every week. I wouldn’t change a thing and can confidently say that it’s my favorite drink of all time. Smoothies, on the other hand, are a different story.
Smoothies are fair game. I like to switch things up, discover new combinations, and simply like to clear out my fridge and see what I can come up with. Most of my experiments are pretty tasty and ultra slurp-worthy.
When I spotted a can of sweetened condensed milk in my pantry one sunny morning, I was feeling naughty. Because that’s what it feels like when you drizzle that luscious milk into a super healthy smoothie. The best kind of naughty.
You NEED to give it a go.
Now I don’t consider this Lava Flow Smoothie a healthy breakfast or even a snack. I look at it as straight up dessert. When everyone else is cooling down with their ice cream cones, you will most likely find me sipping on this beautiful drink. Summer’s best treat.
The layer of crushed ice & fresh strawberries, and the second layer made up out of more crushed ice, pineapple, and sweetened condensed milk, have my name written all over them.
Also, who can resist a smoothie named Lava Flow? Definitely not me. It’s a play on the Hawaiian cocktail with the same name. Some people like to add cream of coconut to the tropical (pineapple) layer, but since I decided to swap the cream of coconut with sweetened condensed milk, I simply didn’t add any coconut flavor. I personally didn’t miss it here. It was still pretty tropical, but you could certainly add cream of coconut or even coconut water. Whatever your taste buds demand.
Here’s to a lovely week, friends!
- 1 lb (about 3 heaping cups) fresh or froze strawberries, cleaned and sliced
- 2 cups ice
- 2 heaping cups fresh pineapple, sliced
- 1 cup ice
- 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1. In your blender, combine strawberries, ice and enough water to easily blend the mixture. Puree until smooth. Pour into a small pitcher and place in the freezer.
- Rinse mixer.
- 2. Combine pineapple, ice, and sweetened condensed milk in your blender. Puree until smooth.
- Pour desired amount of the strawberry mixture into a glass and top with the pureed pineapple mixture. Stir with a straw and enjoy!