Football Season is finally here. Yay! When we woke up yesterday (Sunday) morning, we could hardly wait until kickoff. Promptly at 3:25 with our jerseys on and fantasy football apps open, we were ready to cheer on the Green Bay Packers. Go, Pack, Go! It was a pretty heated game and even though we lost, it gave us a great taste of what’s to come for the rest of the season; it also reminded me of Homemade Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons. I had seen variations of tomato soup with these cute croutons all over Pinterest a couple months back and I couldn’t wait to make it myself. Tomato Soup also happens to be my favorite soup of all time. So you better believe this one will tickle your taste buds.
The reason why football reminded me of this soup, is because the weekend my husband had his Fantasy Football Draft, I had some girlfriends over and we had this delicious soup for dinner the night of our sleepover. With fall in the air, I am pretty sure this soup will make an appearance on our dinner table again soon!
How gorgeous do these tomatoes look? Tomatoes are at their peak right now and couldn’t be more aromatic and juicy, especially when you roast them in the oven tossed with olive oil, onions, garlic, and sprigs of rosemary.
Roasting all of the ingredients first, will also spread a beautiful aroma through your house.
I adore the roasted look on the tomatoes. It makes for incredible flavor in your soup, so don’t discard any pieces that might have charred a little too much. The darker, the better. Of course, you could skip the step of roasting your tomatoes first and cook them in a pot all the way, but roasting is so easy and I promise that if you try it once, you won’t go back. This Tomato Soup is incredibly creamy without having to add any heavy cream or milk. A light and satisfying dish – perfect for the vegetarian or vegan in your life (if you use a cheese substitute for your grilled cheese sandwich). Soo good!
My husband is not the only one with a Fantasy Football team, of course. So here’s to hoping that my Fantasy Team will pull for a win tonight! How about you? Do you love this season just as much as we do?
- 12 roma tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- salt and pepper
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- fresh basil leaves
- grilled cheese ingredients
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil.
- 1. Cut your tomatoes in quarters, then cut your onions and garlic cloves into slices.
- 2. Spread the tomatoes, onions and garlic cloves onto the two baking sheets and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with olive oil and put into preheated oven. Roast the vegetables for 20 minutes or until slightly charred.
- 3. Once the tomatoes are done, pour them into a large pot. Add vegetable broth and butter (omit butter for a vegan version and use 1 tablespoon of olive oil instead) and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- 4. If you have an immersion blender, use is to blend all the ingredients until no more chunks remain. If you don't own one, pour batches of soup into a regular blender until pureed (be careful not to burn yourself). Pour the soup through a fine mesh strainer back into the pot to get rid of any small chunks or tomato skins.
- 5. Bring back to a simmer and adjust seasonings if necessary. Chop up the fresh basil leaves and add to the soup.
- 6. Prepare your grilled cheese however you like it best (I used two slices of regular white bread and plenty of sharp cheddar cheese. Smear the outside of the bread with butter and cook in a skillet or Panini press until cheese is melted. I used half a sandwich per bowl.) and cut into bite-sized pieces. Ladle soup into bowls and top with grilled cheese croutons and additional basil if desired.