A fun twist on cinnamon rolls – literally. This is a real treat for breakfast that’s easier to whip up than traditional cinnamon rolls. Kids and adults will love them!
I have breakfast on my mind.
Every so often I develop a huge craving for all kinds of breakfast foods and can’t keep myself from making them. Waffles and bacon, anyone? How about a veggie-studded frittata? The occasional bowl of cereal sneaks in too. Cooking up breakfast is huge for me since I usually can’t get anything down before 10 AM or so. And I am not about to stop.
If I had to choose which breakfast item is my favorite, it would definitely be a tie between donuts and cinnamon rolls. Yes, I am one of those people that can’t pick just one.
I usually make either one on weekends and for special occasions, but since school has or is about to start for most kids, I couldn’t help but think if cinnamon rolls could be made in a matter of minutes before heading out to school or work. And the answer is YES.
These Twisted Cinnamon Roll Dunkers are ready to sweeten your week.
Not only do they taste like cinnamon rolls (almost) on a stick, but they’re also super easy to make. For a recipe that’s completely made from scratch, you’ll be surprised how simple and little time they take. I know I was.
And boy, oh boy. Once you get dunkin’, you’ll understand why I’m making such a big deal about them.
They brought so much fun into our home, I can only imagine how kiddos would react once they lay eyes on them. Don’t we all need a good reason to get out of bed in the morning? I don’t think there’s a better one than these.
Goodness, I could eat a couple of them practically every morning and hey, while my appetite for breakfast lasts, I might as well do just that ;).
Hope you’re having a fabulous and delicious Hump Day, friends!
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 heaping teaspoon active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1. Starting with the dough, place milk and butter in a microwave-safe bowl and heat until butter is almost melted and milk is warm. Stir until butter is completely melted. Set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine 1 cup of flour, yeast, sugar, and salt. Mix until well combined with the beater paddle attached. Add the egg and milk mixture to the dry mix and continue stirring until thoroughly combined. Add remaining flour and keep mixing until the dough comes together, about 3 minutes. If dough is still sticky, add another 1-2 tablespoons of flour and mix until worked into the dough and smooth. Slightly flour your work surface and place dough on top. Let rest for 10 minutes while you prepare the filling.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon and butter until well mixed. You are basically making a cinnamon butter. Set aside.
- 3. Roll out your dough into a rectangular shape. It should be about 1/4-inch thick. Spread filling evenly over the dough. Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into 15 equal strips vertically, each strip should be about 1/2-inch wide. Fold each strip in half and pinch edges closed. Twist and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes while you preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place in the oven and bake for 18 minutes or until tops are slightly golden.
- 4. While the cinnamon roll dunkers are baking, prepare the icing by combining the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and heavy cream. Once the dunkers have finished baking, let cool for 5 minutes and drizzle icing evenly over the top. Serve remaining icing for dunking, if desired. Enjoy!
- Twisted Cinnamon Roll Dunkers are best when enjoyed immediately, but can be kept in the freezer for up to 3 weeks.